In order to properly serve graduates from community colleges and technical schools, the marketing discipline offers a Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.S.) degree. The B.A.S. degree program in Marketing will provide opportunities for individuals who have completed Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) or Associate of Science (A.S.) degree programs to achieve a bachelor’s degree with somewhat reduced course requirements when compared to a student who has not achieved any of the two-year degrees or diplomas.
- Completion of the SMSU's Liberal Education Program
- Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) from any MnSCU campus, and
- SMSU Liberal Education Graduation Requirements.
- A minimum of 30 semester credit hours through Southwest Minnesota State University.
- A minimum of 40 semester credit hours at the 300 or 400 level.
- The requirements for an approved B.A.S. major.
- A cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 for courses taken while enrolled at SMSU.
|ACCT 211||Principles of Accounting I||3|
|ACCT 212||Principles of Accounting II||3|
|ECON 201||Principles of Microeconomics||3|
|ECON 202||Principles of Macroeconomics||3|
|FIN 230||Business Statistics I||3|
|MGMT 221||Computer Concepts and Applications||3|
|Upper Division Marketing Courses|
|MKTG 301||Principles of Marketing||3|
|MKTG 331||Principles of Selling||3|
|MKTG 381||Advertising Management||3|
|MKTG 421||Business-to-Business Marketing||3|
|MKTG 441||Marketing Research||3|
|MKTG 491||Strategic Marketing Management||3|
|MKTG 495||Senior Examination||0|
|BLAW 305||Business Law I: Legal Environment and Contract Law||3|
|FIN 350||Managerial Finance||3|
|MGMT 300||Management Principles||3|
|Select 15 credits of the following:||15|
|International Business & Economics|
|Prod & Oper Management|
|Organizational Behavior and Theory|
|Leadership and Team Management|
|Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC)|
|Creativity and Innovation|
|Social Media Marketing|
|International Marketing 1|
MKTG 471 International Marketing (3 cr.) can only count as an elective if ECON 470 International Business & Economics (3 cr.) or MGMT 440 International Management (3 cr.) are taken in the Required Business core classes area.
The following limitations also apply:
- No more than 6 SCH of courses numbered 059-099 and no SCH courses numbered 001-049 shall count toward graduation.
- No more than 10 SCH of credit/no credit courses outside the student’s major shall count toward graduation.
- If any course in Category A has already been taken as part of the A.A.S. or A.S. requirements, a course from the elective category must be substituted.
- The total of all categories must be at least 42 semester credit hours.
- The student will decide, with the approval of his or her advisor, on all actual elective courses to be taken.
- Final approval of a student’s degree program shall rest with the Marketing advisor and the department.