Date: April 29, 1977
Approved: C. Tisinger
Revised: September 15, 1980
Approved: Jon Wefald
Southwest Minnesota State University
- There shall be one Commencement Exercise at or near the end of Spring Semester. This date shall be included in the academic calendar each year.
- All faculty and administration shall be strongly encouraged to participate in Commencement Exercises. Participating faculty and administration shall wear caps and gowns appropriate to their degrees.
- All students who have completed degree requirements verified by approved degree checks since the last commencement date may participate in the commencement exercises. Student participation shall be on a voluntary basis. Students who do participate shall wear appropriate attire as determined by the graduating class. Within this context the term “appropriate” denotes uniformity of attire.
- Certificates of attendance will be awarded to all participating students. Following Commencement Exercises, diplomas will be mailed to all students who have completed graduation requirements since the last commencement exercise.
- The development of the Commencement program each year shall be the responsibility of the office charged with implementing this policy. Appropriate students, faculty, and administration shall be consulted.
- Institutional funds for the Commencement Exercises shall be budgeted each year by the President’s Office.