Any student who is not planning to continue their education at Southwest Minnesota State University after the completion of a semester is recommended to utilize the following exit procedure:
- Schedule a meeting with the Deeann Griebel Student Success Center located in Individualized Learning (IL) 224 to complete a Student Perceptions Survey. Please visit our bookings page to schedule your appointment.
- Contact the Residence Life Office in Naoutha Hall to complete departure paperwork and receive instructions on room check-out and deadlines (if applicable).
- Contact the Financial Aid Office in Individualized Learning (IL) 145 (if applicable) to cancel your aid at SMSU. Log in to https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa and put in the school code of the institution you plan on attending. Inquire with your new school if they require additional paperwork to complete their financial aid process.
- If you have registered for classes for the upcoming semester, be sure to log in to your e-services account and drop them before the 5th day of the semester to avoid charges.
- Contact the Cashier Window/Business Services in Individualized Learning (IL) 139 to get answers to questions you may have about any outstanding charges (if applicable).
- Stop by the University Public Safety Office in Founders Hall to receive parking permit refund information (if applicable). Bring permit with you and park in the loop outside of Founders Hall to avoid receiving a ticket in one of the lots. If permit is returned within the 10th day of Fall Semester, you will receive a full refund. If permit is returned within the 10th day of Spring Semester, you will get half back. After the 10th day, there is no refund.
- Schedule a meeting with the Center for International Education (CIE) in SC 237 (applicable to International Students only) and bring necessary paperwork to transfer out your SEVIS record to your new school. Please note that if you are suspended or withdraw completely, it will have a tremendous impact on your SEVIS record and maintaining your international student visa status. Please meet with a CIE staff member for more information.
Please note: If you wish to withdraw entirely from Southwest Minnesota State University during an academic semester, you must contact the Registration and Records Office located in Individualized Learning (IL) 148. You may also call 507-537-6206 for assistance.