Exit Procedure

Undergraduate students not planning to continue their education at Southwest Minnesota State University after the completion of a semester are recommended to utilize the following exit procedure.

  • Schedule a meeting with the Deeann Griebel Student Success Center located in Individualized Learning (IL) 224 to complete a Student Perceptions Survey. Please visit our bookings page to schedule your appointment. 
  • Contact the Residence Life Office in Naoutha Hall to complete departure paperwork and receive instructions on room check-out and deadlines (if applicable). Staff may be reached by calling (507) 537-6136 or via email at reslife@SMSU.edu
  • Contact the Financial Aid Office in Individualized Learning (IL) 145 (if applicable) to cancel your aid at SMSU. Log in to https://studentaid.gov/ and put in the school code of the institution you plan on attending. Inquire with your new school if they require additional paperwork to complete their financial aid process. Staff may be reached by calling (507) 537-6281 or via email at financialaid@SMSU.edu
  • If you have registered for classes for the upcoming semester, be sure to log in to your e-services account and drop your classes before the 5th day of the semester to avoid charges. Please contact the Registration and Records Office at (507) 537-6206 or via email at registration@SMSU.edu if you run into any errors or need an override. 
  • Contact the Cashier Window/Business Services in Individualized Learning (IL) 139 to get answers to questions you may have about any outstanding charges (if applicable). Staff may be reached by calling (507) 537-7117.
  • Stop by the University Public Safety Office in Founders Hall to receive parking permit refund information (if applicable). Bring permit with you and park in the loop outside of Founders Hall to avoid receiving a ticket in one of the lots. If permit is returned within the 10th day of Fall Semester, you will receive a full refund. If permit is returned within the 10th day of Spring Semester, you will get half back. After the 10th day, there is no refund. Staff may be reached by calling (507) 537-7252 or via email at security@SMSU.edu
  • Schedule a meeting with the Center for International Education (CIE) in SC 237 (applicable to International Students only) and bring necessary paperwork to transfer out your SEVIS record to your new school. Please note that if you are suspended or withdraw completely, it will have a tremendous impact on your SEVIS record and maintaining your international student visa status. Please meet with a CIE staff member for more information. Staff may be reached by calling (507) 537-6018 or via email at cie@SMSU.edu.

Please note: If you wish to withdraw entirely from Southwest Minnesota State University during an academic semester, you must contact the Registration and Records Office located in Individualized Learning (IL) 148. You may also call 507-537-6206 for assistance.

Note: While every effort is made to ensure accuracy, SMSU reserves the right to correct any clerical errors herein. Also, you can submit feedback.