Other Admission

Readmission to the University

Students who have attended SMSU in the past and have not been enrolled in the last one or more terms (excluding summer sessions) will be considered for re-admission and should contact the Office of Admission for more information. If a student has attended another institution during his/her time away from SMSU, official transcripts from that institution are required. Students required to withdraw from the University are not eligible for re-admission for the equivalent of one academic year. Re-admission applications are available at https://www.smsu.edu/campuslife/registrationrecords/forms/index.html.

Non-Traditional Student/GED Admission

Students wishing to attend SMSU who are over the age of 21 with no previous post-secondary education may be admitted upon application and proof of high school graduation or the equivalent (GED). Those students who have successfully completed the GED will be considered for admission upon evaluation of official GED scores. For admission forms, visit the Admission web page.

Enrollment of Part-Time, Non-Degree Students

Southwest Minnesota State University recognizes that not all students can attend college full-time. For this reason, part-time, non-degree seeking students who have not been enrolled in secondary school or another college or university for one year may be allowed to enroll in a maximum of six credits per semester by completing a part-time student application. Students may continue under this status until they have earned 24 credit hours, at which time they must apply for admission and provide all documentation listed previously. Concurrently enrolled high school students may not enroll under this status. Students not fully admitted are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Click here for the Admission Forms.

Enrollment of High School Students

Concurrent with high school enrollment, high school students may be admitted to the University for either part-time or full-time enrollment. Enrollment is dependent upon space availability in the courses desired by the student. Students wishing to enroll must meet the following requirements:

  • High school seniors wishing to enroll must rank in the upper half of their class (juniors must rank in the upper one-third.)
  • Submit proper documentation from the high school supporting part-time or full-time enrollment (depending upon the status being sought by the student).
  • Students under 18 years of age must have consent from parent or guardian.

Note: Students enrolling under the Post Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) or the School and College Program (SACP) should contact the Office of Admission for further details and instructions.

Enrollment of Senior Citizens

1975 Minnesota Law, Chapter 136, “Senior Citizens Higher Education Program,” allows residents who have reached the age of 62 years or older prior to the beginning date of a course to enroll for credit. The administrative charge for senior citizens taking credit courses on a space-available basis is $20 per credit hour plus applicable fees. Senior citizens may audit credit courses at no charge and have all fees except laboratory and material fees waived. This option is available only after all tuition-paying students have been accommodated.

Note: While every effort is made to ensure accuracy, SMSU reserves the right to correct any clerical errors herein. Also, you can submit feedback.