Minnesota College Immunization Law

Students who have graduated from a Minnesota High School since 1997 may disregard the following immunization requirements. All other students (including PSEO’s) enrolled in more than one class during a full academic term (semester) or live in campus housing, will be required to be in compliance with the Minnesota College Immunization law (Minnesota Statute 135A.14).

Beginning July 1, 1990, students born in 1957, or later, who are enrolled in more than one class, or live in campus housing, will be required to be in compliance with the Minnesota College Immunization Law.

The law requires that you provide the University with the following documentation: A statement that you have received appropriate immunization against measles, rubella, and mumps after having attained the age of 12 months, and against diphtheria and tetanus within ten years of first registration at the institution. This statement must indicate the month and year of each immunization given. Southwest Minnesota State University does not give these shots on campus.

Each student affected by this law will be required to have on file a completed Immunization History Form in the Student Health Services Office. If you need help in determining your immunization history, consult your personal physician or clinic where you received your shots. If you attended an elementary or secondary school in Minnesota, you may be able to get a copy of your record from them.

This information needs to be submitted to our Student Health Services office within forty-five (45) days of the beginning of the term of your enrollment.

If you are not in compliance with the Minnesota College Immunization Law, you will be unable to register for any future classes or access transcripts for transfer until this form has been completed and returned to the Student Health Center in BA 158.

If you are enrolled in extension classes or correspondence classes only, you are exempt from the law.

Other exemption are:

  1. That, for medical reasons, you did not receive an immunization;
  2. That you have experienced the natural disease against which the immunization protects;
  3. That the laboratory has confirmed the presence of adequate immunity; or
  4. If you submit a notarized statement that you have not been immunized as required because of you conscientiously held beliefs, the immunizations are not required.

Note: 1-3 require a statement signed by a physician.

If you have any questions in regard to the above-named law, or would like to receive a copy of the law, please contact Student Health Services, BA 158, phone 537-7202. Your completed form will not be accessible for duplication. Please make a copy for your records!

Note: While every effort is made to ensure accuracy, SMSU reserves the right to correct any clerical errors herein. Also, you can submit feedback.