After you’ve been admitted to SMSU, you may need to take placement tests. SMSU's course placement process determines a student's readiness for reading, writing, and mathematics courses. It is used to assist a student with the selection of appropriate courses to help assure a student's success upon entering SMSU. Course placement can be determined using one or a combination of the following information:
- Scores form ACT, SAT, MN Comprehensive Assessment (MCA) - valid within the last 5 calendar years
- High school GPA - valid within the last 10 calendar years
- Standardized score reports from Advance Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and International Baccalaureate (IB)
- Completion of college-level coursework from an accredited U.S. college or university
- Course Placement Assessment - ACCUPLACER - valid within 2 calendar years
Students can find additional information about SMSU’s course placement process on the Deeann Griebel Student Success Center’s homepage.